Pages

Jan 18, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread

Hello ladies! I am thrilled about this blog and am planning on trying out some of your recipes this week! Thanks for such great ideas.

My husband's parents offered to get us either 1. a grand supply of wheat or 2. a wheat grinder for our Christmas present this year. Since we are running out of room in our designated food storage spot, if you will, we opted for this. This is an amazing mill. The mill grinds the wheat so fine that I tried out my favorite bread recipe today without adding any white flour (by the way, the bread is already gone). It turned out delicious! I usually half the recipe and use my Kitchen Aid dough hook. If you want to go old school with a wooden spoon, bowl and do the entire recipe, go for it! Let me know what you think.

Clea's Wheat Bread

Yield: 4 loaves

Time: 3 to 3-1/2 hours

Equipment: very large bowl, sturdy spoon, measuring cups and spoons, wheat grinder, 4 loaf pans

2 T. yeast
2/3 Cup sugar
5-1/2 C. warm water

Mix above and let sit for a minute or so.

Then add:4 Cups white flour

Mix and let sit about 5 minutes til it's all bubbly and "working."
Now add the following:
2/3 C. shortening
2 T. salt
7 C. wheat flour

You should get a nice soft dough. Dump the dough onto a floured board and let it sit a couple of minutes. I use the time to wash the bowl and then spray it with PAM so you can use it for letting the dough rise. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Knead it until there are no rough edges, and it's forming a ball and it's no longer sticky – about 5 minutes for me. Keep the board well floured. Put it in a greased bowl and let it rise on top of your oven for 45 minutes. Cover it with a thin towel. Punch the dough down and dump it on the cupboard and cut it into 4 pieces. Form into loaves and put the dough in greased bread pans. Let it rise again for 45 minutes – covered with towel, on the top of your oven. It should be nicely rounded just over the top of the pan. Put the oven temp up to 350 degrees and preheat. Put the four pans in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. When I take it out, I rub the tops with a little butter. The loaves should fit nicely into gallon zip-lock bags. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Mmm I will have to try this recipe, I just made a whole wheat bread but it wasn't as easy or healthy as this one I think. So I want to try this one out!