Pages

Jan 15, 2009

Sneaky pasta with sauce

Here's a favorite recipe of mine, I make this once a week. The pasta I use is Ronzoni smart taste. It has 3 times the fiber, is high protien and has calcium as well and it tastes just like regular white pasta. Even my husband can't tell the difference.

Sauce: 2 jars of your favorite 28 oz sauce. I do hy-vee garden combo b/c it's a high fiber sauce that's lower (no low) in the sodium, but you choose any sauce you want
1-2 cups shredded zuchini and/or carrots. (I buy organics on sale and then shred, mix and freeze)
2 4 oz cups/containers stage 2 baby food-either carrots, sweet potatoes or 1 of each. Do NOT use squash (I use gerber organics. This is one of the cheapest ways I've found to buy organics out of season) Also, the carrots and sweet potatoes slightly sweetens the sauce, no one can tell it's there, but the sauce tastes so good

spices to taste I use garlic powder, a little crushed red pepper, a little ground peppercorns, and Italian seasonings

Mix everything in your crock pot and cook on low 6-8 hours if you are using shredded carrots/zuchini, about 3 if you are not. Serve over the Ronzoni with a little parmesean cheese. With all the veggies in here, you've got a whole meal, but I usually serve it with rolls or garlic bread and a salad.

**** Note, after your dinner, freeze the remaining sauce, you'll have plenty and then add it and 1 jar pasta sauce back to the crockpot and heat for an even quicker dinner the next time around. Nothing else is needed

This dinner is full of vitamins A and C, fiber, lycopene, and w/ the ronzoni, plenty of protient and even some calcium. It's a great quick fix

No comments: